One Poppy Pill at a Time!
The United States is facing an Opioid Overdose Epidemic with 136 people dying every day from an opioid overdose. As the ones handing prescription opioid medications to patients, we must accept that we are at the forefront of this crisis. Here are some ways that ClearSpring Pharmacy is helping tackle the Opioid Overdose Epidemic while still offering optimal care to our patients.
1. Offer patients Narcan® (naloxone) nasal spray with every opioid prescription.
Did you know that naloxone works on treating opioid overdoses in pets as well?!
2. With every Narcan® we dispense we not only counsel the patient on how to properly administer the medication, but we also provide a printed-out instruction sheet for each patient.
3. Have a list of local medication take-back centers at our pickup window for patients who want to dispose of their medications.
4. Offer pain management resources on our website for both patients and providers.
For patients: https://clearspringrx.com/pain-management/
For providers: https://clearspringrx.com/docs/pain_management/#book/
5. Have patients on chronic opioid therapy sign our Opioid Pledge.
This is similar to a pain agreement that doctors have patients sign except it is an agreement between the patient and pharmacy.
6. Offer opioid alternative pain medications for patients such as our low-dose naltrexone and ketamine compounds.
These are just a few of the actions that ClearSpring Pharmacy is taking in addressing the Opioid Overdose Epidemic and to help protect our local communities. Let us know in the comments what actions your pharmacies are taking to help address the Opioid Overdose Epidemic!
Steven Sanders, PharmD Candidate 2023
Regis University School of Pharmacy
Preceptor: Dana Sadowski, PharmD